This lamp is a "mule" lamp, manufactured by the Edison Storage Battery Company around 1920. The lamp would have been attached to a mule's harness to light the way for the driver of the mule in the mines. The battery and lamp are attached, and both are larger than that of cap lamps.
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.