This is an Oldham Hewers electric hand lamp manufactured by Oldham & Son Ltd. of Denton, Manchester, England during the 1930s. The lamp consists of a lower metal bonnet that slid over the lamp’s battery, and a light bulb at the top that is encased in a ridged glass cylinder. Museum records indicate that this lamp was presented to electric cap lamp inventor Grant Wheat by Mr. Harry Holt, in 1935. Oldham & Son was a large battery manufacturer in England who licensed Grant Wheat’s electric lamp designs in 1935 for manufacture and distribution in the United Kingdom.
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.