The original device, consisting of an electromagnet arranged to ring a bell, was demonstrated in 1831 by Joseph Henry to his classes at the Albany Academy in Albany, N. Y. By closing a circuit, Henry energized the electromagnet with current from a battery. The magnet attracted a lever arm that rang the bell. This demonstrated electrical action at a distance and laid the foundation for later telegraph devices. This replica was made for the Western Union Museum.
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.