This albarello-shaped drug jar has a white tin-glaze background with a cobalt blue cartouche. Atoop the cartouche is a basket of fruit flanked by two peacocks. Scrolls vines, tassels and the face of an angel complete the decoration. The center of the cartouche is marked, "MANN: CANNAL"
The bottom of the glazed base bares a makers mark, a small dot above the letter P. This is the mark of the Pennis family who owned two ceramic factories from about 1723 to 1789. In addition to apothecary jars they made small utillitarian objects for the home.
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.