2 12 Dollars, Proof, United States, 1841
2 1/2 Dollars, Proof, United States, 1841
- Description (Brief)
- One (1) 2 1/2 dollar coin, proof
- United States, 1841
- Obverse Image: Left facing Liberty with hair tied in a bun and wearing a coronet. 13 stars around.
- Obverse Text: LIBERTY / 1840
- Reverse Image: Eagle with wings outstretched clutching arrows and branch in talons, shield over chest.
- Reverse Text: UNITED STATES OF AMERICA / 2 1/2 D.
- Only proof quarter eagles were minted in 1841, and the coins have been recognized as rarities for nearly a century. This is one of eleven specimens that have been confirmed. Oddly enough, most entered circulation and only later were recognized as rarities.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- Date made
- U.S. Mint. Philadelphia
- Gobrecht, Christian
- place of issue
- United States
- Physical Description
- gold (overall metal)
- 0 (overall die axis)
- 0 (overall die axis measurement)
- struck (overall production method)
- overall: 18 mm; 23/32 in
- ID Number
- catalog number
- accession number
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.