NBC RCA "Velocity" Ribbon Microphone
NBC / RCA "Velocity" Ribbon Microphone
- RCA / NBC "velocity" ribbon-type radio broadcasting microphone, inscribed "NBC," on the base, with the numbers "31-4" and "405530A4;" attached cord. A narrow, corrugated ribbon of aluminum alloy (without diaphragm) is caused to vibrate in the field of a permanent magnet by sound frequencies in its field of response. A current is generated in the ribbon corresponding exactly to the frequency and amplitude of the original sound. Bi-directional response field 90 degrees front and back. Diamond shaped perforated bronze metal case with NBC plates on black base. Marks cast inside of base 91-A.
- Currently on loan
- Object Name
- condenser microphone
- Date made
- date made
- ca 1931
- ca 1931
- ca. 1931
- RCA Corporation
- overall: 11 1/8 in x 7 in x 7 in; 28.2575 cm x 17.78 cm x 17.78 cm
- ID Number
- catalog number
- accession number
- Credit Line
- from National Broadcasting Company, Inc.
- See more items in
- Work and Industry: Electricity
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.