- Sandwich toaster. Hinged body, two parts that open up, horizontal. Each part is chrome-plated sheet metal, flat cook tops. Rectangular wooden handle, painted black. Top has molded streamlines. Mounted on black enameled tray with bent rim, flat handles with molded streamlines. Underside of tray is stamped: “115V. CAT. NO. K-60-0 600W./PAT. NOS. 2,014,001-2,040,369/2,179,761/96,481/PATS. PEND./REG. U.S. PAT. OFF./KWIKWAY/MF’D. BY KWIKWAY CO/ST. LOUIS, U.S.A.”; “20903” scratched into underside of tray.
- 2,014,001: September 10, 1935, Andrew S. Knapp and Frank J. Stevens, assignors to Knapp-Monarch Company, Belleville, Illinois, for “Heating element construction”
- 2,040,369: May 12, 1936, William H. Fischer, assignor to Knapp-Monarch Company, Belleville, Illinois, for “Electrical appliance”
- 2,179,761: November 14, 1939, Howard A. Smith, assignor to Knapp-Monarch Company, Belleville, Illinois, for “Electric appliance structure”
- 96,481: Research needed, could not be found.
- This toaster is from the Hoover Company Sample collection, North Canton, Ohio, including samples by Knapp-Monarch Company, St. Louis (Missouri), which was bought by Hoover in 1969. It is noted: “Hoover Company Collection tag Sample 20903/Rec’d. Apr. 72/Model K-60-0”; “Knapp-Monarch tag: “Year Made 1940”; neither of these tags are attached to the object, but the sample number referenced is scratched into the electrical housing. Another note states: “Interchangeable power cord sold separately according to Kwikway tag of guarantee attached to toaster 1991.835.17”
- Maker is the Knapp-Monarch Company for Kwikway Company, St. Louis, Missouri. The Knapp-Monarch Company, St. Louis, Missouri, was founded in 1925 as A.S. Knapp and Company, not as a manufacturer, but to sell products. The company merged with manufacturer Monarch Company of Webster City, Iowa, in 1928. A large portion of Knapp-Monarch’s business was the manufacturing of products for private brands. In 1969 the company was acquired by the Hoover Company.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- date made
- ca 1940
- Knapp-Monarch Co.
- place made
- United States: Missouri, Saint Louis
- Physical Description
- metal (overall material)
- wood (overall material)
- overall: 3 3/8 in x 11 9/16 in x 7 3/16 in; 8.5725 cm x 29.36875 cm x 18.25625 cm
- ID Number
- catalog number
- accession number
- catalog number
- Credit Line
- Gift of The Hoover Company
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.