Tabletop Electric Oven
Tabletop Electric Oven
- Tabletop electric oven. Cylindrical-shaped body (A), horizontal, on two flared, bent wire legs that fold under the body when not in use. Prongs for power cord on one end (no cord attached or accompanying), shaped wooden handle, painted black, opposite end, door pulls open, cooking tray attached (B), bent sheet metal, perforated with holes throughout. Carrying handle at top, flared bent metal arms with turned wooden grip, painted black. Exterior of body has cartouche on either side, engraved, rectangular, flanked by floral scroll motif.
- Plug end is stamped with “KM” trademark, “115 VOLTS 330 WATTS/PAT. APPLIED FOR CAT. NO. 150/KNAPP MONARCH CO. BELLEVILLE, ILL.”
- Patent: US 2086827 A, Filed November 3, 1932, Published July 13, 1937, John E. Smith, assignor to Knapp-Monarch Company, Missouri, for "Biscuit baker or oven"
- This toaster is from the Hoover Company Sample collection, North Canton, Ohio, including samples by Knapp-Monarch Company, St. Louis (Missouri), which was bought by Hoover in 1969. It is noted: “Hoover Company Collection tag Sample 20902/Rec’d. Apr. 72/Model K-M150”; “Knapp-Monarch tag: “Year Made 1932”; neither of these tags are attached to the object. Another note states: “Interchangeable power cord sold separately according to Kwikway tag of guarantee attached to toaster 1991.835.17”
- Maker is the Knapp-Monarch Company, St. Louis, Missouri (moved from Belleville, Illinois in 1934), founded in 1925 as A.S. Knapp and Company, not as a manufacturer, but to sell products. The company merged with manufacturer Monarch Company of Webster City, Iowa, in 1928. A large portion of Knapp-Monarch’s business was the manufacturing of products for private brands. In 1969 the company was acquired by the Hoover Company.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- biscuit baker
- date made
- Knapp-Monarch Co.
- place made
- United States: Illinois, Belleville
- Physical Description
- metal (overall material)
- wood (overall material)
- overall: 7 1/4 in x 15 in x 4 1/16 in; 18.415 cm x 38.1 cm x 10.31875 cm
- ID Number
- catalog number
- accession number
- collector/donor number
- Credit Line
- Gift of The Hoover Company
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.