John Eager Howard at the Cowpens, United States, 17811881 (U.S. Mint copy dies)
John Eager Howard at the Cowpens, United States, 1781/1881 (U.S. Mint copy dies)
- Description (Brief)
- One (1) John Eager Howard at the Cowpens medal, (Comitia Americana)
- United States (France), 1781
- Obverse Image: Howard rides on horseback with sword raised as he chases an enemy soldier while winged Victory flies above him, with a palm raised in her left hand and laurel wreath in her right hand above Howard's head.
- Obverse Text: JOH / EGAR / HOWARD / LEGIONIS / PEDITUM / PRAEFECTO / COMITIA / AMERICANA / DUVIV
- Reverse Image: An inscription in seven lines in surrounded by a laurel wreath.
- Reverse Text: QUOD / IN / NUTANTEM / HOSTIUM / ACIEM / SUBITO / IRRUENS / PRAECLARUM / BELLICAE / VIRTUTIS / SPECIMEN / DEDIT / IN / PUGNA / AD / CWPENS / XVII. / JAN. / MDCCLXXXI
- General Information: Engraved by Benjamin Duvivier, U.S. Mint copy dies.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- Date made
- date made
- original issue
- United States Mint
- Paris Mint
- place made
- place of issue
- United States
- Physical Description
- struck (overall production method)
- bronze (overall metal)
- circular (overall shape)
- overall: 44.8 mm; 1 3/4 in
- ID Number
- catalog number
- accession number
- Battle of Cowpens, 1781
- See more items in
- Work and Industry: National Numismatic Collection
- Comitia Americana
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.
Note: Comment submission is temporarily unavailable while we make improvements to the site. We apologize for the interruption. If you have a question relating to the museum's collections, please first check our Collections FAQ. If you require a personal response, please use our Contact page.