- Ferguson’s vaginal speculum made of glass, the outer wall of which is covered with a layer of tin foil which, in turn, is covered with black varnish. The form was devised by the Scottish surgeon, Sir William Fergusson (1808-1877).
- Ref: Charles Truax, The Mechanics of Surgery (Chicago, 1899), pp. 439-440.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- Physical Description
- glass (overall material)
- paint (overall material)
- black (overall color)
- average spatial: 15.7 cm x 5 cm; 6 3/16 in x 1 15/16 in
- ID Number
- accession number
- catalog number
- Credit Line
- Gift of The Medical and Chirurgical Faculty of the State of Maryland
- Women's Health
- See more items in
- Medicine and Science: Medicine
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.