- The “SCHEMATIC EYE / DESIGNED BY / W. A. FISHER, M.D.” label on the base of this item refers to William A. Fisher (1860-1944), Professor of Ophthalmology and President of the Chicago Eye, Ear and Throat College. The eye was introduced in 1907.
- Ref: “New Instruments: Fisher’s Schematic Eye,” American Medicine 13 (1907): 451.
- “Dr. William A. Fisher, Founder of Chicago Eye College, Practiced in Loop 50 Years,” New York Times (Aug. 22, 1944), p. 15.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- Schematic Eye
- eye, schematic
- Other Terms
- Schematic Eye; Teaching Materials
- Date made
- ca. 1900
- date made
- ca 1920
- W & T Avery Ltd.
- Physical Description
- metal (overall material)
- glass (overall material)
- metal, brass (overall material)
- black (overall color)
- iron (overall material)
- average spatial: 14.5 cm x 5.7 cm x 6.4 cm; 5 11/16 in x 2 1/4 in x 2 1/2 in
- overall: 5 1/8 in x 3 in x 2 1/2 in; 13.0175 cm x 7.62 cm x 6.35 cm
- ID Number
- catalog number
- accession number
- See more items in
- Medicine and Science: Medicine
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.
Note: Comment submission is temporarily unavailable while we make improvements to the site. We apologize for the interruption. If you have a question relating to the museum's collections, please first check our Collections FAQ. If you require a personal response, please use our Contact page.