- Description (Brief)
This flute was made in Germany around 1878 to 1880 and sold by the J. Howard Foote Company in New York and Chicago. It is an 8-keyed flute in D made of grenadilla with German silver ferrules and keys, and an ivory embouchure.
John Howard Foote (1833-1896) was a musical instrument dealer with shops in New York City and Chicago. This make and style of flute (#5358), as listed in an 1880 J. Howard Foote catalog, sold for $29.75.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- Date made
- place made
- Physical Description
- grenadilla (overall material)
- German silver (overall material)
- ivory (overall material)
- overall: 26 5/8 in x 1 1/2 in; 67.6275 cm x 3.81 cm
- ID Number
- accession number
- catalog number
- Credit Line
- Gift of J. Howard Foote
- See more items in
- Cultural and Community Life: Musical Instruments
- Music & Musical Instruments
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.