- This AO Spencer spectrometer came from the chemistry department of Lehigh University. The Spencer Lens Co. was purchased by the American Optical Co. in 1935; and became the Scientific Instrument Division of the American Optical Co. in 1945.
- Ref: Roger S. Estey, The Use of the AO Spencer Spectrometer (Buffalo, N.Y., 1938).
- “Spencer Lens’s New Name,” New York Times (June 22, 1945), p. 27.
- American Optical Co. ad for the Spencer Spectrometer in American Scientist 35 (January 1947): front matter.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- Central Scientific Company
- overall: 7 1/2 in x 8 7/8 in x 14 1/2 in; 19.05 cm x 22.5425 cm x 36.83 cm
- overall in case: 11 1/4 in x 10 7/8 in x 15 3/4 in; 28.575 cm x 27.6225 cm x 40.005 cm
- ID Number
- catalog number
- accession number
- See more items in
- Medicine and Science: Physical Sciences
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.