- The U.S. Weather Bureau transferred this 4-cup Robinson-type anemometer to the Smithsonian in 1904. The inscription on the dial reads “U.S. WEATHER BUREAU / No. 295 / JULIEN P. FRIEZ, BALTO. MD.” Julien P. Friez (1850-1916) was born in France, emigrated to the U.S. around 1868, opened a machine shop in Baltimore in 1890, and specialized in meteorological instruments.
- Ref: Julien P. Friez, Illustrated Catalogue of Meteorological Instruments and Apparatus (Baltimore, 1893). pp. 8-9.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- Friez, Julien P.
- place made
- United States: Maryland, Baltimore
- overall: 18 1/8 in x 17 5/8 in; 46.0375 cm x 44.7675 cm
- ID Number
- catalog number
- accession number
- See more items in
- Medicine and Science: Physical Sciences
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.