- Carl Gotfried Fineman, a German scientist, designed the nephoscope for observing the altitude, direction and velocity of clouds. The U.S. Weather Bureau transferred this unsigned example to the Smithsonian in 1904.
- Ref: C. G. Fineman, in Zeitsch. fűr Instrum. 6 (1886): 206-208.
- William E. K. Middleton, Catalog of Meteorological Instruments in the National Museum of History and Technology (Washington, D.C., 1969), pp. 94-95.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- overall: 2 3/4 in x 10 in; 6.985 cm x 25.4 cm
- ID Number
- catalog number
- accession number
- See more items in
- Medicine and Science: Physical Sciences
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.