- The Ritchie ledgers, now held by Ritchie Navigation, indicate that this compass was manufactured on August 11, 1877, and sold to T.S. & J.D. Negus, a New York firm that sold a variety of nautical and optical instruments. It later belonged to the U.S. Coast & Geodetic Survey. The inscriptions read "RITCHIE BOSTON U.S.A." and "PATENTED APL. 7. 1863. APL. 10, 1866. MAY 12, 1868. JULY 19, 1870" and "9786."
- Ref: E. S. Ritchie & Sons, Ritchie’s Liquid Compasses and Nautical Instruments (ca. 1905).
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- Nautical Compass (Liquid)
- date made
- place made
- United States: Massachusetts, Boston
- overall: 3 3/4 in x 5 3/4 in; 9.525 cm x 14.605 cm
- overall: 4 in x 6 in; 10.16 cm x 15.24 cm
- ID Number
- catalog number
- accession number
- Credit Line
- U.S. Coast & Geodetic Survey
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.