- The inscription on this instrument reads "BAIN & AINSLEY’S ‘HA-HY’ COURSE CORRECTOR PAT. NO 2345 SOLD BY A. DOBBIE & SON LTD GLASGOW & SO SHIELDS." A label in the box reads "Thos. L. Ainsley, James Street, Cardiff. HEATH & COY., Limited, Crawford, Kent." A tag reads "H.M.S. ADMIRALTY SERVICE."
- A. Dobbie & Son, Ltd., were in business from 1896 to 1903, offering chronometers and other instruments for nautical use.
- Ref: Ref: “Bain & Ainsley’s ‘HA-HY’ Course Corrector,” The Marine Engineer (May 1, 1895): 62.
- T. N. Clarke, A. D. Morrison-Low, and A. D. C. Simpson, Brass & Glass. Scientific Instrument Making Workshops in Scotland (National Museums of Scotland, 1989), pp. 228-234.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- course indicator
- date made
- ca 1900
- Dobie, James
- place made
- United Kingdom: Scotland, Glasgow
- compass box without lid: 5 9/16 in x 10 1/2 in x 10 1/2 in; 14.12875 cm x 26.67 cm x 26.6954 cm
- top lid: 1 13/16 in x 11 1/8 in x 10 1/2 in; 4.60375 cm x 28.2575 cm x 26.67 cm
- overall: 7 1/2 in x 11 1/8 in x 10 1/2 in; 19.05 cm x 28.2575 cm x 26.67 cm
- ID Number
- catalog number
- accession number
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.