- This small brass instrument, 2½ inches diameter, was owned by Spencer Fullerton Baird (1823-1887), the second Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution. The silvered face is marked "R. & J. Beck / 51 Cornhill / LONDON / 516 / Compensated." The pressure scale around the circumference of the face extends from 15 to 31 inches of mercury. The altitude scale extends from 0 to 18,000 feet. The instrument is stored in a round, red leather case. R. & J. Beck was in business, as such, from 1865 to 1895.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- Aneroid Barometer
- date made
- R. & J. Beck
- place made
- United Kingdom: England, London
- overall: 2.3 cm x 6.2 cm; 29/32 in x 2 7/16 in
- overall in case: 1 in x 2 1/2 in x 3 in; 2.54 cm x 6.35 cm x 7.62 cm
- ID Number
- accession number
- catalog number
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.