- Haskel Walker, of Hartford, Vermont, patented an odometer in 1859. This is the model he submitted with his patent application. It is made of brass, and has a toothed and graduated disc rotated by means of a 4-prong spur at the end of the base plate.
- Ref: Haskel Walker, “Odometer,” U.S. Patent #23,329 (March 22, 1859).
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- date made
- Associated Date
- place made
- United States: Vermont
- overall: 12.7 cm x 17 cm x 6.4 cm; 5 in x 6 11/16 in x 2 1/2 in
- overall: 2 1/2 in x 6 5/8 in x 5 in; 6.35 cm x 16.8275 cm x 12.7 cm
- ID Number
- catalog number
- accession number
- patent number
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.