- This achromatic lens—9.6 inches aperture and 14.25 feet focal length—was made by Merz & Mahler for the great equatorial refracting telescope installed in the U.S. Naval Observatory in 1845. Alvan Clark & Sons reworked the lens in 1862, improving its color correction and definition. The telescope remained in use until 1896.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- overall: 2 3/4 in x 11 3/4 in; 6.985 cm x 29.845 cm
- overall: 3 in x 11 3/4 in; 7.62 cm x 29.845 cm
- ID Number
- catalog number
- accession number
- Credit Line
- U. S. Naval Observatory
- Science & Scientific Instruments
- See more items in
- Medicine and Science: Physical Sciences
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.