- This type of cup anemometer was introduced in 1846 by John Thomas Romney Robinson (1792-1882), a physicist who served for many years as director of the Armagh Astronomical Observatory in Northern Ireland. The form was soon widely used around the world. This example registers the wind movement in miles and tenths of miles per hour. The inscription reads "USWB 1580-S."
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- overall: 41 cm x 46 cm; 16 1/8 in x 18 1/8 in
- overall: 16 in x 18 in; 40.64 cm x 45.72 cm
- ID Number
- accession number
- catalog number
- See more items in
- Medicine and Science: Physical Sciences
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.