- “PLANISPHAERIUM COPERNICANUM Sive Systema UNIVERSI TOTIUS CREATI EX HYPOTHESI COPERNICANA IN PLANO EXHIBITUM” represents the system of the universe according to the hypothesis of Copernicus exhibited in a planar view. It is image #4 from the Harmonia Macrocosmica created by Andreas Cellarius (1596-1665), a cartographer and cosmographer in the Netherlands. The "Prostant Amstelaedami apud GERARDUM VALK et PETRUM SCHENK" inscription indicates that it is from the edition of 1708, and not the original edition of 1660.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- Print, Planisphaerium Copernicanum
- overall: 53 cm x 62 cm; 20 7/8 in x 24 7/16 in
- overall: 21 in x 24 7/8 in; 53.34 cm x 63.1825 cm
- ID Number
- catalog number
- accession number
- See more items in
- Medicine and Science: Physical Sciences
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.