- This off-white, polystyrene clam shell food container held one Nathan’s™ hot dog. “Nathan’s™ FAMOUS since 1916” is written in green over the entire container. Nathan’s™ FAMOUS first opened in 1916 as a small hot dog stand on Coney Island. As of 2012, they are selling hot dogs at over 40,000 locations.
- The McDonald’s Corporation is one of the most recognizable hamburger restaurants in the United States. As of 2011, the McDonald’s Corporation and franchisees were operating in 119 countries with 1.9 million employees, making it the 4th largest employer in the world.
- In 1940, Richard (Dick) and Maurice (Mac) McDonald opened the first McDonald’s Bar-B-Q drive-in restaurant in San Bernardino, California. In 1948, the brothers redesigned their menu, centering on the 15 cent hamburger. In 1954, Ray Kroc, a Multimixer (milkshake machine) salesman, became interested in the McDonalds brothers’ high volume restaurant. He worked out a deal with the brothers to be their franchising agent and opened the first franchise location in Illinois the following year. Under Kroc’s direction, the company grew to become the giant we know today.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- date made
- 1975 - 1990
- place made
- overall: 17.6 cm x 9 cm x 5.5 cm; 6 15/16 in x 3 9/16 in x 2 3/16 in
- ID Number
- accession number
- catalog number
- See more items in
- Work and Industry: Retail and Marketing
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.