- This divided-lens micrometer was made in the early 1870s, for use with the 26-inch refracting telescope at the United States Naval Observatory. A paper label on the box reads “Edw. Kahler / Manufacturer of Optical, Mathematical and Philosophical Instruments / 1807 K St. NW / Washington, D.C.” Edward Kahler (1833-1900) was a German instrument maker who was working in Washington by 1869.
- Ref: United States Naval Observatory, Astronomical and Meteorological Observations Made During the Year 1874 (Washington, D.C., 1877), Appendix 1, “Instruments and Publications,” p. 38.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- Position Micrometer
- date made
- early 1870s
- Kahler, Edward
- place made
- United States: District of Columbia, Washington
- overall: 2 3/4 in x 5 3/8 in x 2 1/4 in; 6.985 cm x 13.716 cm x 5.715 cm
- overall in box: 2 15/16 in x 5 3/8 in x 2 1/4 in; 7.46125 cm x 13.6525 cm x 5.715 cm
- ID Number
- accession number
- catalog number
- Credit Line
- U.S. Naval Observatory
- Science & Scientific Instruments
- See more items in
- Medicine and Science: Physical Sciences
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.