- This clasp leather purse was used as a manicure kit by exotic dancer Shirley May Jones during the 1940s and 1950s. The leather case contains a buffer, metal nail file, cuticle removal, and nail pusher. The maker is unknown, but the inner is stamped, “Made in Germany, US-Zone” putting its manufacture in the southwest region of Germany that was under United States control after World War II.
- Object Name
- manicure kit
- Jones, Shirley May
- Physical Description
- skin, leather (overall material)
- metal (overall material)
- sandpaper (overall material)
- platic, bakelite (overall material)
- overall: 1 7/8 in x 3 1/2 in; 4.7625 cm x 8.89 cm
- ID Number
- accession number
- catalog number
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.