- A rattle in the shape of an ovoid sphere, made of celluloid. One half of the sphere is cream and the other half is peach. A han-painted image of a child decorates one half. The two halves are fitted tightly together and given extra strength by means of a ribbon that is woven around the seam by means of several holes drilled in the sphere. A celluloid ring is attached to the end of the ribbon. A metal bell is inside the sphere. There are no maker's marks.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- Physical Description
- cellulose nitrate (overall material)
- silk (ribbon material)
- overall: 17.8 cm x 10 cm; 7 in x 3 15/16 in
- overall: 5 3/4 in x 4 in; 14.605 cm x 10.16 cm
- ID Number
- catalog number
- accession number
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.