- This is a Spencer Universal Binocular Model 56 with coarse and fine focus, triple revolving nosepiece, large rectangular stage, sub-stage mirror, and U-shaped base. The inscription reads “SPENCER / BUFFALO / USA.” The form was introduced in 1929. The 113271 serial number on this example indicates a date of 1933.
- Ref: Spencer Lens Co. ad in Journal of Parasitology 15 (June 1929).
- Spencer Lens Co., Catalog of the More Popular Spencer Microscopes, Microtomes, Delineascopes, Optical Measuring Instruments and Accessories (Buffalo, 1930), p. 35. 35,
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- date made
- Spencer Lens Company
- place made
- United States: New York, Buffalo
- Physical Description
- glass (overall material)
- metal (overall material)
- overall: 33.8 cm x 13 cm x 20.5 cm; 13 5/16 in x 5 1/8 in x 8 1/16 in
- ID Number
- catalog number
- accession number
- Credit Line
- Ronald Gordon
- Science & Scientific Instruments
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.