- This is a stereoscopic instrument with coarse and fine focus, triple revolving nosepiece, square glass stage, inclination joint and U-shaped base. The inscription reads “SPENCER / BUFFALO / USA.” The 154908 serial number indicates a date of 1939. It came from Oscar W. Richards (1902-1988), a biologist and microscopist who worked with the Spencer Lens Co.
- Ref: Spencer Lens Co., Spencer Stereoscopic Microscopes (Buffalo, N.Y., 1939), pp. 2-3.
- Spencer Lens Co. ad in Science 91 (April 12, 1940): 6-7.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- date made
- Spencer Lens Company
- place made
- United States: New York, Buffalo
- Physical Description
- glass (overall material)
- metal (overall material)
- overall: 38 cm x 13.2 cm x 19.8 cm; 14 15/16 in x 5 3/16 in x 7 13/16 in
- ID Number
- catalog number
- accession number
- Credit Line
- Gift of Oscar W. Richards, Ph.D
- Science & Scientific Instruments
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.