- This fairly large metal disc came from the shop of Henry Fitz (1808-1863), America’s first successful commercial telescope maker. It was probably used for figuring or polishing lenses.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- lens grinding/polishing tool
- Object Type
- Physical Description
- steel (overall material)
- slightly opened:.8 cm x 6.9 cm x 3.5 cm; 5/16 in x 2 11/16 in x 1 3/8 in
- overall: 2 in x 9 7/8 in; 5.08 cm x 25.0825 cm
- ID Number
- accession number
- catalog number
- Credit Line
- Gift of Mrs. Willard H. Howell
- See more items in
- Medicine and Science: Physical Sciences
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.
Note: Comment submission is temporarily unavailable while we make improvements to the site. We apologize for the interruption. If you have a question relating to the museum's collections, please first check our Collections FAQ. If you require a personal response, please use our Contact page.