- Description (Brief)
- The Scovill Manufacturing Company of Waterbury, Connecticut produced this token around 1860. Scovill was an early industrial American innovator, adapting armory manufacturing processes to mass-produce a variety of consumer goods. With the Civil War starting, Secretary of the Treasury James Dix sent a telegram to Treasury agents in Louisiana: "If any one attempts to haul down the American flag, shoot him on the spot." This quote is on the token’s reverse.
- Obverse: U.S. flag surrounded by 13 stars. Legend: THE FLAG OF THE UNION.
- Reverse: IF ANYBODY ATTEMPTS TO TEAR IT DOWN/ SHOOT HIM ON THE SPOT/ DIX.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- Scovill Manufacturing Company
- overall: 1.95 cm; 3/4 in
- ID Number
- accession number
- catalog number
- See more items in
- Work and Industry: Production and Manufacturing
- Industry & Manufacturing
- Scovill Manufacturing Collection
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.