- Riley Root (1795-1870) was a teacher, surveyor, inventor, and early settler of Illinois. This brass surveyor’s level is the model he submitted with his application for a patent issued in 1859. The arc has a 3-inch radius and is graduated by degrees. The inscription reads "Riley Root."
- Ref: Riley Root, “Level,” U.S. Patent 26,621 (Dec. 27, 1859).
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- Object Type
- Patent Model
- overall: 5 in x 14 in x 4 1/4 in; 12.7 cm x 35.56 cm x 10.795 cm
- overall: 5 in x 14 in x 4 1/8 in; 12.7 cm x 35.56 cm x 10.4775 cm
- ID Number
- catalog number
- accession number
- patent number
- See more items in
- Medicine and Science: Physical Sciences
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.