McDonald's Brown Bag
McDonald's Brown Bag
- This small brown paper bag, labeled “B” for 4-6 items, contains Toy Story 2 and the McDonald’s® golden arches logo on one side. The reverse side announces the release date of November 26 for the six Toy Story 2 Happy Meal® premiums and refillable candy dispensers available with the purchase of a McDonald’s® Happy Meal®. On the bottom of the bag, two photographs have been printed explaining how to pack food items into the bag. In 1996, McDonald’s® and Disney signed a 10 year, exclusive partnership agreement where McDonald’s® was able to use Disney characters for Happy Meal® premiums and Disney would receive free promotion of upcoming movies through McDonald’s®. This partnership appeared like a natural fit for the two companies since they had an overlapping market base. From November 26, 1999 through December 23, 1999, McDonald’s® marketed the Toy Story 2 Happy Meal® premiums.
- The McDonald’s Corporation is one of the most recognizable hamburger restaurants in the United States. As of 2011, the McDonald’s Corporation and franchisees were operating in 119 countries with 1.9 million employees, making it the 4th largest employer in the world.
- In 1940, Richard (Dick) and Maurice (Mac) McDonald opened the first McDonald’s Bar-B-Q drive-in restaurant in San Bernardino, California. In 1948, the brothers redesigned their menu, centering on the 15 cent hamburger. In 1954, Ray Kroc, a Multimixer (milkshake machine) salesman, became interested in the McDonalds brothers’ high volume restaurant. He worked out a deal with the brothers to be their franchising agent and opened the first franchise location in Illinois the following year. Under Kroc’s direction, the company grew to become the giant we know today.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- date made
- Physical Description
- paper (overall material)
- overall: 11 1/4 in x 7 in x 4 1/2 in; 28.575 cm x 17.78 cm x 11.43 cm
- ID Number
- catalog number
- nonaccession number
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.