- Repoussé chased, raised cylindrical peg tankard with a flat-top dome lid, applied molded rim, and a cast crouching-lion-and-ball figure for the thumb piece and three feet. Overall floral decoration is interrupted by script engraving on lid "Thomas / Thomassen / Elisabeth / NilsDaatter / anno 1716". Five-knuckle hinge with cast grotesque mask; hollow, D-section, S-curve handle has a stamped line of beads on face and a flat curvilinear shield terminal. Five ball pegs inside. Underside of rounded bottom struck once "TS" in raised serif letters in a notched oval or quatrefoil surround below centerpoint.
- Maker is Thore Sorenson (Sørensen, Sörensen; 1794-1732) of Aalborg, Denmark.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- date made
- place made
- Denmark: Nordjylland, Ålborg
- Physical Description
- silver (overall material)
- overall: 6 7/8 in x 7 1/4 in x 6 in; 17.4625 cm x 18.415 cm x 15.24 cm
- ID Number
- catalog number
- accession number
- Credit Line
- Gift of Charles and Rosanna Batchelor Memorial, Inc.
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.