Cigarette Card Album
Cigarette Card Album
- The Cigarette Card album is made from a composition book with a hard gray/black marble cover with a very poor condition spine. Glued to the outside of the front cover is a Cigarette Card of Mlle Vanda and on the inside is glued a Cigarette Card of the actress Lucia B. Griffen. The first page appears to have hand written in pencil, "Cigarette Book August 1893 Beatrice Achmead." On the first lined page of the composition book is a hand drawn scene of a "Stage Entrance" door. The album contains approximately 21 pages of Cigarette Cards with typically 12 cards to a page. The cards promote the cigarette brands Admiral and Virginia Brights.
- Hand written in pencil on the inside of the back cover: "(In the Lion Tamer)" and a glued Cigarette Card of a child in costume. There are two loose cards, one of the same child in the same uniform and one of a dog in a top hat. Hand written in pencil on the back of the loose card of the child is, "Sep 10 '93".
- Identified actresses and dancers include: Lottie Collins, Imogene Washburn, Mable Clark, Jas T. Powers, Eugenia Fougere, Beatrice Cameron, Mlle. Mante, La Sirene, Loie Fuller, Marie Holton, Carmencita, M'lle Goetz, M'lle Jacot, Lillian Russell, Jane Hading, Mlle Rositi (aka Rosita), Millie Price Drew, Miss Bertram, "Mde,Rosi", Della Fox with De Wolf Hopper, Clara Qualitz (Quality), Marie Wainwright, Amelia Glover, Jenne Gravini, Bob Layton, Leona Bland, Carrie Wilson, Davenport Sisters, Rachel Booth, Miss Renwick, Fanny Lyons, Pauline L'Allemand, Carlotta, Virgie Arnold, Topsey Venn, Rose Newham, Virginia Fari, Miss Louis, Mlle Grenadina, Annie Pixley, Mlle Biane, Gracie Robinson, Lillian Brink, Marie Layton, Mlle Ceduli, and Corine.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- date made
- Physical Description
- paper (overall material)
- cardboard (overall material)
- leatherette (overall material)
- overall: 21.2 cm x 18.3 cm x 4.5 cm; 8 11/32 in x 7 7/32 in x 1 25/32 in
- ID Number
- catalog number
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.