- This is a Asian steelyard with a graduated bone or ivory beam, circular pan, pieced disc for sliding weight, and fitted wooden case. The donor described it as "Scales used by Chinamen for weighing gold dust in the early days of placer mining in Idaho."
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- place made
- place mining in
- United States: Idaho
- case: 1 in x 3 in x 13 1/2 in; 2.54 cm x 7.62 cm x 34.29 cm
- overall in case: 1 in x 3 in x 13 1/2 in; 2.54 cm x 7.62 cm x 34.29 cm
- ID Number
- catalog number
- accession number
- Credit Line
- Gift of Major General F.C. Ainsworth, U.S.A.
- Weights & Measures
- See more items in
- Medicine and Science: Chemistry
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.