- Charcoal and watercolor sketch matted on brown matte with blue inner border. Two freight ships at right are shown in the harbor at St. Nazaire, France. The ships are painted with brightly-colored dazzle camouflage in blue, white, green, and pink. To the left are docks and cranes. A rowboat with two people in it passes in front of the ships. Smoke is visible from the smoke stacks in the background. Signed at bottom left by the artist, "J. Andre Smith / St. Nazaire, July '18."
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- date made
- July 1918
- Smith, J. Andre
- Place Made
- France: Pays de la Loire, Saint-Nazaire
- Physical Description
- paper (overall material)
- charcoal; watercolor (overall production method/technique)
- overall: 11 1/2 in x 15 1/2 in; 29.21 cm x 39.37 cm
- ID Number
- accession number
- catalog number
- World War I
- See more items in
- Political and Military History: Armed Forces History, General
- Official Art from the American Expeditionary Forces in World War I
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.
Note: Comment submission is temporarily unavailable while we make improvements to the site. We apologize for the interruption. If you have a question relating to the museum's collections, please first check our Collections FAQ. If you require a personal response, please use our Contact page.
Tue, 2018-09-25 09:18