- Preston Bassett, the donor of this gyroscope, stated that it "was used by Schoolmaster Pratt of Leverett, Mass., during the 1860's, in his course on Natural Philosophy. It is said that he made the model himself."
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- gyroscope and holder
- date made
- ca 1860
- Physical Description
- lead (overall material)
- overall: 4 1/4 in; 10.795 cm
- overall: 6 in x 4 1/4 in; 15.24 cm x 10.795 cm
- ID Number
- catalog number
- accession number
- Science & Scientific Instruments
- See more items in
- Medicine and Science: Physical Sciences
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.
Note: Comment submission is temporarily unavailable while we make improvements to the site. We apologize for the interruption. If you have a question relating to the museum's collections, please first check our Collections FAQ. If you require a personal response, please use our Contact page.