- This notebook was kept by Amasa Holcomb (1787-1875), a self-educated surveyor and telescope maker. It contains notes of observations, records of telescopes made and sold, and some notes and formulas pertaining to the construction of instruments. Two descendants, Grace E. Holcomb Steere and Eva C. Holcombe Storey, gave it to the Smithsonian in 1933.
- Ref: Autobiographical sketch of Amasa Holcomb, in Robert P. Multhauf, ed., "Holcomb, Fitz, and Peate: Three 19th Century American Telescope Makers," United States National Museum Bulletin 228 (1962), pp. 160-164.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- date made
- 1834 - 1841
- overall: 7 1/2 in x 6 3/8 in x 7/8 in; 19.05 cm x 16.1925 cm x 2.2225 cm
- ID Number
- catalog number
- accession number
- See more items in
- Medicine and Science: Physical Sciences
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.