- Artist's proof or prototype set for a chess set made by Cybis and presented by President Nixon to the U.S.S.R.
- According to the Cybis Archive, the White House commissioned the set to be presented during the 1972 Moscow Summit between President Richard Nixon and Soviet Premier Brezhnev. The set was inspired in part by the 14th-century Nine Heroes Tapestry, based on a 1310 poem by Jacques de Longuyon. The set was designed by Harry Burger, Jr.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- date made
- Cybis Porcelain Art Studio
- place made
- United States: New Jersey, Trenton
- Physical Description
- wood (overall material)
- overall case: 4 1/2 in x 34 1/2 in x 34 1/2 in; 11.43 cm x 87.63 cm x 87.63 cm
- ID Number
- catalog number
- accession number
- See more items in
- Cultural and Community Life: Ceramics and Glass
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.