- This engraving was produced for vol. 12 of the Encyclopaedia Londinensis, a multi-volume work published between 1810 and 1829. The texts read “LIGHT” and “1 to 9, Apparatus for Gas Lights, 10, 11, Capt. Brodies’ Pillars for Light-houses.” In 1804, the Society for the Encouragement of Arts awarded a gold medal to Captain Joseph Brodie for sundry marine improvements, “particularly for his method of connecting Iron Bars, and coating them with lead, so as to form solid pillars for light-houses.”
- Ref: Joseph Brodie, “Naval improvements,” Transactions of the Society for the Encouragement of Arts 22 (1804): 255-257.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- overall: 11 1/2 in x 8 3/4 in; 29.21 cm x 22.225 cm
- ID Number
- catalog number
- accession number
- See more items in
- Medicine and Science: Physical Sciences
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.