- Block of iron from a leg of the tripod for the portable vertical circle used by F.G.W. von Struve at the Pulkowa astronomical observatory, circa 1840. It was apparently given to Cleveland Abbe, an American astronomer who worked at that Russian observatory in the 1860s, and he used it as a paper weight.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- block of iron
- Physical Description
- iron; paper (overall material)
- overall: 2 5/8 in x 1 9/16 in x 1 5/8 in; 6.6675 cm x 3.96875 cm x 4.1275 cm
- ID Number
- catalog number
- accession number
- See more items in
- Medicine and Science: Physical Sciences
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.