- Highland Brewing Company, a craft brewery in Asheville, North Carolina, created this cloth face mask during the COVID-19 pandemic. The front of the face mask features the brewery's logo. The reverse of the mask features a Scottish tartan design, a reference to the Scottish and Irish immigrants who settled in western North Carolina in the late 1700s and early 1800s. The brewery's name - Highland - references these same groups.
- Oscar Wong, who immigrated to the U.S. from Jamaica to study engineering and later retired in Asheville, founded Highland Brewing Co. in 1994. The business initiated a surge in microbreweries in the area. When Wong retired from the brewery, Leah Ashburn, Wong's daughter, became the brewery's family owner, president, and CEO. Gaelic Ale, an American Amber Ale, is the brewery's flagship beer.
- Object Name
- date made
- ca 2020
- place made
- United States: North Carolina, Asheville
- Physical Description
- textile (overall material)
- overall: 9 cm x 21 cm x 2 cm; 3 17/32 in x 8 9/32 in x 25/32 in
- ID Number
- accession number
- catalog number
- Credit Line
- Gift of Highland Brewing Company through Leah Ashburn
- See more items in
- Work and Industry: Food Technology
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.