- Description (Brief)
- This absorption apparatus was used at the Chemistry department at the University of Pennsylvania. Chemistry has been taught at the University since at least 1769 when doctor and signer of the Declaration of Independence, Benjamin Rush (1746–1813), became Professor of Chemistry in the Medical School. A Chemistry department independent of the Medical School was established by 1874.
- “A Brief History of the Department of Chemistry at Penn.” University of Pennsylvania Department of Chemistry. Accessed March 20, 2015. https://www.chem.upenn.edu/content/penn-chemistry-history.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- absorption apparatus
- overall: 7 1/4 in x 5 in; 18.415 cm x 12.7 cm
- ID Number
- catalog number
- accession number
- Credit Line
- Gift of University of Pennsylvania
- Science & Scientific Instruments
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.