- Cast iron device for putting lids on cans, with inscription that reads “THE OHIO PAIL CO., MIDDLEFIELD OHIO PATEND JAN. 23, 1923.”
- Ref: Smith Maddison Johnson, “Apparatus for Fastening Steel Pail Tops,” U.S. Patent 1,443,264 (Jan. 23, 1923).
- Smith Maddison Johnson, “Pail Closure,” U.S. Patent 1,459,469 (June 19, 1923).
- Object Name
- Lid Closer, Hand Operated
- Date made
- ca. 1923
- handle: 10 in; 25.4 cm
- overall: 37 cm x 51 cm; 14 9/16 in x 20 1/16 in
- ID Number
- catalog number
- accession number
- Credit Line
- Gift of Budeke's Paints
- See more items in
- Medicine and Science: Chemistry
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.
Note: Comment submission is temporarily unavailable while we make improvements to the site. We apologize for the interruption. If you have a question relating to the museum's collections, please first check our Collections FAQ. If you require a personal response, please use our Contact page.