- Lidded ale jug with a backward-curved, astragal thumb piece. Double-domed, flat-top lid. Inverted-baluster body with molded rim, neck, and foot. Compound- or reverse-scroll strap handle with rounded thumbrest and short terminal; upper terminal attached to rounded shield-shape plate on rim. Plain, inset, curved spout with strainer. Rim exterior stamped to left of handle "W. R. LOFTUS / 321 OXFORD S\T." in incuse serif letters.
- Maker is W. R. Loftus, located at 321 Oxford Street, London; in business, circa 1859-1960.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- jug, ale
- date made
- ca 1860-1930
- place made
- United Kingdom: England, London
- Physical Description
- pewter (overall material)
- overall: 8 1/2 in x 7 5/8 in x 5 1/2 in; 21.59 cm x 19.3675 cm x 13.97 cm
- ID Number
- catalog number
- accession number
- Credit Line
- Gift of Mrs. Constance Dwan Wylie (Walker Gill Wylie Collection)
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.