- Angular, bulbous or bellied measure with grooved embryo-shell thumb piece; gill size. Concave, flat-top domed lid with an incised line around center and edge. Galleried rim and molded base; one incised line around rim and two pairs around body. Tapered S-scroll handle with stepped thumbrest and scroll terminal; short, faceted strut. Circular touchmark of James Moyes of Edinburgh cast inside lid. Rim exterior stamped on front "GILL", partially overstruck by an oval stamp of a rooster and "68"; two Victorian verification marks, including a crowned "VR / 1856" verification mark for Edinburgh to right of handle. Four concentric circles inside bottom.
- Maker is James Moyes of Edinburgh, Scotland, working 1849-1891.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- date made
- 19th century
- ca 1856
- place made
- United Kingdom: Scotland, Edinburgh
- Physical Description
- pewter (overall material)
- overall: 3 5/8 in x 3 1/2 in x 2 3/8 in; 9.2075 cm x 8.89 cm x 6.0325 cm
- ID Number
- catalog number
- accession number
- Credit Line
- Gift of Mrs. Constance Dwan Wylie (Walker Gill Wylie Collection)
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.