- Footed bowl with plain, everted rim, straight tapered sides and rounded bottom on an applied molded base; engraved with a three-masted, square-rigged ship, sailing left on calm waters, above the shaded block letter "W". Set of three lines incised around body near bottom, and set of two on rim underside. No marks apparent.
- Made from the lower portion of a close stool pan or commode pot (see DL*388640 to DL*388643 for complete examples).
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- date made
- 1770 - 1800 and later
- place made
- United Kingdom: England
- Physical Description
- pewter (overall material)
- overall: 4 1/4 in x 7 3/8 in; 10.795 cm x 18.7325 cm
- rim diameter: 7 3/8; 18.7325 cm
- base diameter: 5 1/4 in; 13.335 cm
- ID Number
- catalog number
- accession number
- Credit Line
- Gift of Dr. and Mrs. Arthur M. Greenwood
- See more items in
- Home and Community Life: Domestic Life
- Domestic Furnishings
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.
Note: Comment submission is temporarily unavailable while we make improvements to the site. We apologize for the interruption. If you have a question relating to the museum's collections, please first check our Collections FAQ. If you require a personal response, please use our Contact page.