- Squat, pear-shaped teapot with a shallow conical, inset, hinged lid topped by a cast leafy ball, and an S-curve spout and hollow, high D- or ear-shaped handle, both decorated with acanthus leaves and graduated beads or pearls. Body has a flat band at seam around belly; eight-lobed upper section and stepped, flat-bottomed lower section. Body is finely perforated at spout. Bottom underside is struck incuse "THE MIDDLETOWN PLATE CO." arched over cross-topped scales and "U.S.A."; incuse number "43" is below.
- Maker is Middletown Plate Co. of Middletown, CT. Middletown Plate Co. was founded in 1864 and became a subsidiary of International Silver Co. in 1898; International continued to use the Middletown name and mark until at least 1921.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- date made
- ca 1900
- place made
- United States: Connecticut, Middletown
- Physical Description
- silver plate (overall material)
- overall: 6 1/4 in x 8 1/2 in x 6 in; 15.875 cm x 21.59 cm x 15.24 cm
- ID Number
- accession number
- catalog number
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.