- Raised bulbous or bellied cann or mug engraved "Second / Presbyterian / Church / in / Newburyport." beneath drapery swags. Flared rim scored twice around exterior, rounded bottom, and cast flared circular foot. Hollow, double C-scroll handle has a sprigged upper terminal with flared strut and a split scroll lower terminal with oval attachment. Rim exterior struck once to left of handle "W.SIMPKINS" in raised serif letters in a curvilinear surround. Centerpoint on bottom underside.
- Maker is William Simpkins (1704-1780) of Boston, MA; engraving added later.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- date made
- date engraved
- place made
- United States: Massachusetts, Boston
- place used
- United States: Massachusetts, Newburyport
- Physical Description
- silver (overall material)
- overall: 5 3/8 in x 5 in x 3 3/8 in; 13.6525 cm x 12.7 cm x 8.5725 cm
- ID Number
- catalog number
- accession number
- Credit Line
- Estate of Arthur Michael
- See more items in
- Home and Community Life: Domestic Life
- Domestic Furnishings
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.
Note: Comment submission is temporarily unavailable while we make improvements to the site. We apologize for the interruption. If you have a question relating to the museum's collections, please first check our Collections FAQ. If you require a personal response, please use our Contact page.