- Raised bulbous or bellied cann or mug engraved "SECOND / PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH / NEWBURYPORT" on front in shaded serif letters beneath drapery swags. Plain flared rim, rounded bottom, and cast flared circular foot. Hollow, double C-scroll handle has a sprigged upper terminal and a split scroll lower terminal; both with stepped conical struts. Rim exterior struck once to left of handle "JOHN / BURT" in raised slanted serif letters in a rounded-corner rectangle. Centerpoint on bottom underside with old red-bordered white paper collection label adhered below.
- Maker is John Burt (1692/3-1746) of Boston, MA; father of silversmiths Samuel (1724-1754), William (1726-1751) and Benjamin (1729-1805).
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- date made
- date engraved
- place made
- United States: Massachusetts, Boston
- place used
- United States: Massachusetts, Newburyport
- Physical Description
- silver (overall material)
- overall: 6 1/8 in x 5 3/4 in x 3 5/8 in; 15.5575 cm x 14.605 cm x 9.2075 cm
- ID Number
- catalog number
- accession number
- Credit Line
- Estate of Arthur Michael
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.